What is dwm.exe?
Dwm.exe is the executable file that runs the Windows Desktop Window Manager.
It is a compositing window manager that helps you get effects in Windows like transparent windows, live taskbar thumbnails, flip 3D, and high-resolution monitoring.
Like most applications, it doesn’t draw the display directly to your screen, but rather the application writes the picture of their window on a specific place in memory. Windows create a composite view for all the screens on the window before transferring it to your system.
Windows simultaneously composites and displays the contents of each window. Then the effects are added like animation and transparency when it layers the windows for display. This application composites the display of the windows application before finalizing it and transferring it to your screens.
Name: Desktop Window Manager.
Developer: Microsoft Corporation
File size: 89600
Latest version number: 10.0.15063.0
Common Errors With DWM.exe
What are the common errors?
In this software, the most common errors are called the Runtime errors that occur during runtime. Runtime errors are defined as EXE errors triggered when either the dwm.exe is loading or when Windows is starting up.
Most of the time, it occurs when Windows is already running. These errors are very common and always found when you use Windows. In some cases, this software runtime error occurs while the program is running, which causes the termination of the program.
The most common error messages mean that Windows could not locate this file, which resulted in aborted startup processes. Windows is unable to operate without resolving these errors. The most common errors are:
- Dwm.exe could not be launched. Class not registered.
- Dwm.exe could not be started.
- Dwm.exe failed to initialize properly.
- Dwm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- Dwm.exe is not a valid Win32 application.
- Dwm.exe is not running.
When does it occur:
If the file dwm.exe is not working or damaged, the computer screen turns black. Mostly this happens when you’re playing a game or working with an application. This problem usually occurs in Windows 10; the error may appear several times in a day.
This can affect the operating system of your PC. Therefore, it is recommended that you fix the errors as soon as possible so that the system error cannot cause damage to your files.
What causes it?
It is difficult to track down the main cause of these errors. Most of the EXE errors will affect the dwm.exe during the startup and occasionally experience a runtime error if the user uses Microsoft, Windows Operating System.
This can also occur due to the below-standard programming on behalf of Microsoft Corporation, which conflicts with other software or third parties. It can also be caused by damaged or outdated hardware.
Finally, these types of dwm.exe can occur if they are moved, deleted, or corrupted by malware infection. So, it is important to keep the anti-virus up to date and scan it regularly.
How to fix it?
If you encounter any of the error messages mentioned below, follow these steps to resolve your issues.
Restore your computer to the latest restore point and take a snapshot or backup image before the error occurs:
The first step, to begin with, is System restore (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10)
- Click on the Window Start button.
- On the search box, type ‘System Restore’ and press ‘enter.’
- Click on system restore from the search results.
- Now, enter the administrator password.
- To choose a relevant store point, follow the steps in System Restore Wizard.
- Then, restore your system to that backup image.
- If the step as mentioned earlier doesn’t work, move on to the second way.
Run System File Checker to restore corrupt or missing dwm.exe files:
System file checker is always included with every Windows version that helps you scan and restore the corrupted files. Use this tool to fix the corrupt or missing dwm.exe files.
- Select the Windows start button.
- Type ‘cmd’ on the search bar and do not press enter.
- Press and then hold ‘Ctrl-shift’ while pressing ‘Enter.’
- Now, you will see a permission dialog box.
- Click ‘yes’ on this box.
- Now, you should have a blinking cursor with a black screen.
- Type ‘SFC/scannow’ in the black screen and press ‘enter.’
- It will start scanning for dwm.exe files and other system file problems.
- Follow on-screen commands to complete the process.
- The scan will take some time, so you should be patient.
If the step mentioned above fails, go for this last method and try again.
Update your Windows:
Many dwm.exe errors occur when you are using the outdated version of the Windows Operating System. For updating the windows, follow these steps:
- Go to the Windows start button.
- Click for Windows updates in the Windows Dialog box.
- Click on ‘Install Updates’ if the updates are available for download.
- Restart your computer once the update is completed.
Is dwm.exe a virus? Is it malware?
The best way to know if a file is a virus is to check the file’s location. Always scan the file dwm.exe for malware infections if the file is in the subfolder or user. Malware in a windows process will not be located in the ‘system 32’ folder.
Secondly, if the file size is bigger than the average file size, it is a virus. The file size should be small, and if it is larger than the normal size, it is harmful to your PC.
Lastly, if the file dwm.exe uses a high CPU or RAM, it is a virus or malware.
How to remove dwm.exe?
To remove the file dwm.exe from your system, follow the steps mentioned below:
If the file is a part of a software program, there will be an uninstall a program option. Then, run the Uninstaller which is located at: ‘ C:Program Files > Microsoft Windows Operating System > Manager de ferestre desktop > Desktop Window Manager > dwm.exe_uninstall.ex’
If the file is installed through the Windows Installer, then follow this process:
- Go to the system settings and open Add or remove the program option.
- Then search for dwm.exe or the name of software manager de ferestre in the search bar.
- After that, click on it and uninstall the program option.
- This will help you to remove the file dwm.exe from your system permanently.