igfxEM.exe is an executable file belonging to the igfxEm module process, Intel’s main module for their graphic cards. But is it safe? We investigate…
This module serves as a connection between the Intel Graphics card and Windows OS. Moreover, it allows you to rotate your video card screen and modify keyboard settings along with several other important Intel graphic card features.
IgfxEM.exe serves as a channel between the Intel graphics card that comes along with the Graphical User interface system (GUI). It also allows you to change the screen and graphics settings of the system. There are many uses of if igfxEM.exe like:
- It helps you enable screen rotation.
- This program helps the GUI keep the display resolution settings On, even when your screen is turned off.
- It also helps in modifying the Hotkeys settings.
- IgfxEm.exe is used by AMD and Nvidia graphics card drivers.
|File size:||492 KB|
|Latest version number:||126.96.36.19996|
What are the errors:
The most common issue detected in igfxEM.exe is high CPU usage. In addition, the incompatible Intel graphics driver mostly causes another common error on your computer. Apart from common errors, there is an igfxEM.exe application error: the memory could not be read.
An outdated graphics card driver: One of the most important errors is the outdated graphics card driver. The only solution to this problem is to fix it by updating the driver to the most recent version.
Unstable graphics card driver: It would be best if you rolled back your device driver to the previous working condition. This will help you fix the error.
Virus infection: This file exe can be used by cybercriminals to disguise their malware and infections in your system. As a result, unknown users may face application errors. You should run a malware scan to fix this error.
When do they occur?
The errors occur due to many conditions. However, most of the time application stops working properly, which means you should fix the error.
Why do they occur?
There can be many reasons behind the error. However, the most dominant reasons are the balanced graphics driver, malfunctioning of the system files, and Windows boot up.
In addition, high CPU usage can occur because malware might assume the identity of the igfxEM.exe and use the high level of CPU. Other than that, it may have conflicts with other software that can increase CPU usage.
How to fix the errors:
You can fix the high usage caused by this file by using the following method.
Update Intel graphics driver:
- Go to the official website of Intel. Then, download the driver to your desktop based on your Windows system.
- Then, press the Windows+R button and type devmgmt.msc and select the hit button.
- Double click on Display adapters.
- Click on the Intel graphics driver version installed in your system and then select update driver software.
- Go to Browse My Computer for driver software.
- Select on browse and put the location of downloaded Intel driver files from the next step.
- Select OK and then press next.
- Reboot your system. This will help fix the error.
Update your Intel graphics card driver automatically:
Driver Easy helps you to recognize the system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know what system your computer is running.
Also, you don’t need to take the risk of downloading and installing the wrong driver. You can easily update your drivers automatically with the free or pro version of Driver Easy. You should follow these steps:
- Firstly, download and install Driver Easy.
- Then, run the program and click scan now. This will scan your system and find problem drivers.
- Click on Update All to automatically download and install all versions of drivers that are missing from your system.
- Lastly, restart your system and check if the error has been resolved or not.
Update Intel graphics card driver manually:
- The first step is to press the Windows logo key and R together, then copy and paste the devmgmt.msc into the box and select OK.
- Then, locate and double click on Display adapters.
- Select your favorite flavor on the Intel graphics card driver, and select Update Driver.
- Then search automatically for updated software updates.
- If your system provides you an update, follow the prompt instructions and skip the rest of the steps.
- If there are no update messages, the best drivers are already installed. The windows might sometimes fail in keeping up with the manufacturer’s latest graphics driver.
- Now, go to Intel’s official website and check the support section for driver downloads.
- Enter the model of your Intel graphics card and then search for results.
- Make sure you have downloaded the latest version. And choose drivers that are compatible with your Windows system versions.
- Then, download the file and install the driver.
- Restart your computer and check if the issues have been resolved.
Is igfxEM.exe a virus? Is it malware?
According to the sources, there is no specific case that can prove igfxEM.exe is a malware entity. However, cyber-criminals always try to target executable files to enter viruses or infections in the system.
Therefore, to check the legitimacy of the igfxEM.exe file, you should always check the location. For this, go to the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + ESC keys and open the processes tab, find the igfxEM.exe process.
Then select the open file location. It is most probably a malware entity if you are directed to another location other than C:\Windows\System32\Igfxem.exe.
How to remove igfxEM.exe?
To remove igfxEM.exe follow these steps:
- Firstly, create a restore point for Windows. This restore point is important to revert changes if something goes wrong.
- Then, press F3 to open the standard search window and type ‘igfxEM.exe’ into the search box.
- Locate the program to which the file belongs. Then uninstall the program in a standard way.
- Check if your issues have been resolved but try to delete the file manually if your problem is still there.
- If the process is running, you will not be able to remove it. For this, you must stop the process by going to Task Manager. Click the processes pane in task manager windows, select the file, and press the delete key.